Digital Powder Testing (CMCL)
Development of highly efficient catalytic materials is a complicated, multi-stage and multi-step process comprising extensive measurements campaigns at catalyst layer, exhaust aftertreatment (EAT), engine testbed and real driving level. The key element in the process is selecting the “best” candidates for catalyst powders in terms of properties and chemical composition. This takes the most efforts, often hindering the introduction of new products to market, and increasing the associated costs.
The solution: Ontology-based OIP enables the development of an end-to-end digital solution for the catalytic material development cycle that covers the process in different stages, from catalyst powder selection up to RDE testing of a vehicle. In particular:
- Screening of promising catalyst materials in the Catalyst Powder Testing Reactor.
- Performance evaluation of selected catalyst materials in steady-state Engine Test Beds conditions.
- Generate high-dimensional surrogate models for the tailpipe emissions.
- Integrate the tailpipe emissions surrogate model in a vehicle simulator for real driving simulations.
The process entails interoperability across different stages of catalyst material development and connects the development of a specific powder to the final emission test results. The toolkits kinetics & SRM Engine Suite and MoDS of our partner CMCL will be leveraged in this attempt.
- Cost reduction
- Shortened time to market
- Reduced CO2 emissions
- Increased design flexibility